DESIGN AND R&D
The Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mk II physical dimensions are very similar to its predecessor, the OM D E-M1. However, we came out with a few improvements over our first-generation housing to improve your underwater experience.
ABOUT THE OLYMPUS OM-D E-M1 MK II
- 20 Megapixels Live MOS sensor
- TruePic VIII Dual Quad Core Processor
- 5-Axis In Body Image Stabilization
- 2.36m-Dot LCD Electronic Viewfinder
- 4K Video Capture
- 3.0’’ Vari-Angle Touch LCD
- Built-in Wi-Fi
- 60 fps burst shooting
The Aquatica AE-M1II housing is all about ergonomics. AE-L/AE-L, shutter and front dial are still easily accessible with your right hand on the grip, but two new levers have been incorporated to allow the photographer easier access to the REC and Fn2 buttons, hence exploiting the great buttons customization options Olympus offers. In the back, all menu navigation buttons have been brought closer to the side of the housing to allowing easier reach. AF and HDR buttons have also been moved from the top to the back to facilitate access using your left hand thumb. Finally, both handle grips have been slightly moved away from the housing to ease the use of diving gloves.
FLASH TRIGGERING OPTIONS
We prioritized a lower profile and more compact housing to truly take advantage of the E-M1 Micro 4/3 format. The AE-M1II housing comes standard with a new improved and self-powered flash trigger when ordered with Optical connectors. This flash trigger is powered by two lithium coin cell style batteries that will give you a minimum of 15,000 flashes per set. The OPT version is designed to trigger strobes optically by firing low power consumption LEDs. The AE-M1II housing optical bulkhead plate can be swapped to accept a Nikonos or an Ikelite style connector as an option.
#36000-OPT-VC: Aquatica housing for Olympus EM1 MKII with Dual Optical connector & Surveyor
#36000-NK-VC: Aquatica housing for Olympus EM1 MKII with One Nikonos connector & Surveyor
#36000-IKE-VC: Aquatica housing for Olympus EM1 MKII with One Ikelite connector & Surveyor
SELF-POSITION FINDING CONTROLS
Another great improvement over our previous housing is the new self-position finding controls. With the AE-M1II housing, no need to insure in which position you left your camera or housing levers. Both housing controls using the camera levers (on-off, Fn) are designed to “find their own way” once the housing is closed. No need to check these controls before closing your AE-M1II housing.
MAGNETIC LOCKING SADDLE
The AE-M1II housing also introduces a magnetic locking saddle, a safe and convenient way of securing your camera. This innovative system automatically grabs the saddle once it is pushed in the housing with powerful Neodymium magnets. To ease up the removal of the magnetic saddle, simply flip the lock release lever. Our disengaging release system takes advantage of the repelling force of the magnets by flipping their poles, resulting in the saddle actually being pushed away from the housing when the lever is turned.
SURVEYOR MOISTURE AND VACUUM SENSOR
In order to protect your expensive electronic gear from the elements, our Surveyor Vacuum System (valve and pump) is included as standard equipment with all AEM1 MKII housings. The vacuum system will provide that extra layer of security since the user can verify that if air is not seeping into the housing the water definitely will not either.
The Aquatica AE-M1II is supplied with a compact eyepiece. This high quality and coated optical finder gives a bright and full view of the view finder. For those seeking the ultimate in viewing for still image, the AE-M1II is compatible with the optional Aqua View Finder, available in straight or 45 degrees version. Among the best of the industry, they can easily be installed in a matter of a few minutes by the user. The enlarged and enhanced image provided by the Aqua View Finder is second to none in clarity; it provides the photographer with tack sharp corner to corner viewing of the camera view finder for composing and critical focusing.
We incorporated Amphibico’s latching system to the AE-M1II. This straight forward push, rotate and locking latch has been used on over 10,000 Amphibico and Aquatica housings for decades now. Its rotary cam action, coupled with an additional security mechanism means that logically, any unintentional opening is prevented from happening. This latch system is arguably one of the best closure system ever designed for an underwater housing.
MAIN FEATURES OF THE AQUATICA AE-M1II HOUSING
- Exceptionally good and ergonomic control placement.
- All controls remain accessible in all dive conditions, cold or warm water, with or without gloves.
- Low-profile housing that truly takes advantage of the E-M1 Micro 4/3 format.
- Innovative self-position finding lever controls.
- Optical strobe firing via flash trigger included (OPT version), Nikonos or Ikelite style bulkhead available as standard options.
- Well established and proven system of ports, extensions and accessories to meet your personal lens preferences.
- The most comfortable and sturdy hand grips in the industry, also extendable for larger or gloved hands.
- Two (2) entry points for accessories such as HDMI monitors, remote control or vacuum monitoring systems.
- Eight (8) threaded standard ¼’’-20 holes, one located on top, three on the bottom and four on the grips, to mount strobe arms, brackets, tripods and a wide range of accessories.
- Depth rating options of 90 m or 130 m depth at no extra charge (factory installed).
- Made with a time proven manufacturing process, using the best material available and state of the art tooling. This offers you many years of dependable and enjoyable service.
- New magnetic locking saddle mechanism
- Best aluminum housing option at a very competitive price.
Housing with grips only: Weight 6.1 lb/ 2.8 kg
Housing (only) dimensions: W 210 mm x H 160 mm cm x D 110 mm / W 8.25’’x H 6.25” x 4.35”